Here’s a list of benefits for the average homeowner:
- Depending on your irrigating needs, you can potentially halve your potable water costs.
- The City of Austin offers a rebate of up to 50% of costs, up to $5,000.
- Many customers say that harvesting rainwater is the most tangible and satisfying sustainable practice that has broad community impact.
- If you are an avid gardener or grower, you know that plants are healthier and more productive when watered with rainwater because it is filled with natural plant nutrients and free of city additives.
- As previously mentioned, irrigating independently from the city’s potable water gives you immunity from city water rationing, with a fire-protection perk.
- Rainwater harvesting can also address stormwater and drainage issues. Rainwater can be collected off of other impermeable surfaces, not just roofs. If you find yourself wanting to get rid of the runoff, you may as well collect it and put it to good use.